04 July 2006

fireworks

To those celebrating their independence, everywhere:

I dreamed about killing you again last night
And it felt all right to me
Dying on the banks of Embarcadero skies
I sat and watched you bleed
Buried you alive in a fireworks display
Raining down on me
Your cold, hot blood ran away from me
To the sea

I painted my name on the back of a leaf
And I watched it float away
The hope I had in a notebook full of white, dry pages
Was all I tried to save
But the wind blew me back via Chicago
In the middle of the night
And all without fight
At the crush of veils and starlight


--Wilco's "Via Chicago"

3 comments:

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Bit of a glum post, I know, but such was not the intent. "Via Chicago" just happened to be the only firework-related lyric that came to mind.

Enjoy the Fourth -- and don't go blowing off any digits or other vital body parts. =)

Shalom,
mc

D said...

Glum to some maybe, but not here...still one of my favorite Wilco tracks. Have a great 4th man.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Definitely one of my favs as well. The live performance on Kicking Television is simply heartbreaking.
Hava a good one, bro.