05 July 2006

Exodus

Last night I finished the "Exodus" portion of The Torah. As I have stated before, I lack the words to accurately describe the consciousness of reading Torah, and I'm hesitant to even recapitulate the passages/stories that impacted me most because Torah is ultimately an undivided and united experience. However, I feel an ethereal urge to "get it out" and relay some of the insights that I've gleaned from "Exodus."

"Exodus" begins with the enslavement of the Children of Israel and Pharaoh's order for the infanticide of all Jewish male infants. Despite this demand, Moses is born and eventually raised by Egyptian royalty.
In light of his upbringing, he still identifies with his people, killing an Egyptian for striking a Jewish slave. Upon hearing of the murder, Pharaoh seeks to kill Moses, who then flees to Midian.
There he experiences his first prophetic vision (the burning bush) and doubts his Divine role to lead the Children out of Egypt. "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I should take the Children of Israel out of Egypt?" (Exodus 3:11)
In Chapter 4, Moses doubts the people's faith -- and continues to doubt himself, pleading to G-d for aid in speaking to the Children. G-d replies, "Who makes a mouth for man, or who makes one dumb or deaf, or sighted or blind? Is it not I, G-d? So now, go! I shall be with your mouth and teach you what you should say." (Exodus 4:11) Simply awe inspiring.
The Children's Redemption begins with the Ten Plagues in Chapter 7. With the sixth plague, Pharaoh's stubbornness is broken and he would have freed the people, but G-d strengthens his resolve so that he can still be punished for his earlier sins.
Exodus 10 brings the final three plagues, the commandment sanctifying the New Moon (basis of Jewish calendar and festival cycle), the laws of Passover and the sanctification of the first born.
In Exodus 13:17-31, the Children begin their monumental journey to Eretz Yisrael, G-d splits the sea and the pursuing chariots of Egypt are destroyed.
Exodus 20: The Ten Statements. 1) Belief in G-d. 2) Prohibition of idolatry. 3) Prohibition of vain oaths. 4) The Sabbath. 5) Honoring parents. 6) Prohibition against murder. 7) Prohibition against adultery. 8) Prohibition against kidnapping. 9) Prohibition against bearing false witness. 10) Prohibition against coveting.
Chapter 32 brings Israel's spiritual downfall -- the Golden Calf. Although I won't attempt to summarize this heartbreaking chapter, I will share this from 32:22: (Aaron attempts to explain the grievous actions of the Children) "Let not my master's (Moses) anger flare up. You know that the people is disposed toward evil." I love this quote because it states that one's path to Enlightenment isn't easy. It's not supposed to be easy. The word 'Torah' is derived from the verb "to guide" or "to teach"; hence its purpose. Only the perfect among us walk free from guidance and learning -- and those are zero in number. Remember: "Surely, if you improve yourself, you will be forgiven. But if you do not improve yourself, sin rests at the door. Its desire is toward you, yet you can conquer it." Genesis 4:7
"If you succumb to your Evil Inclination, punishment and evil will be as ever present as if they lived in your doorway." Rabbi Obadiah Sforno (1475-1550)

In closing, I'd like to add this caveat: This post is by no means a summary of The Book of Exodus. I'm aware that I've neglected to share other intrinsic insights of The Book; no disrespect is intended. Attempting to absorb the indefinable majesty of Torah is like trying to comprehend the grand Architecture of the Universe: It's simply impossible.

If you (the reader) have taken the time to read this entire post, thanks for reading.

Shalom,
mc

No comments: