08 July 2006

coauthor

Today has been a lonely one, shimmering with some kind of beautiful sorrow, strange.
Earlier, at a cafe, I found myself watching strangers come and go. They were seated at tables, driving automobiles and walking down sidewalks -- and they were all beautiful.
I was hoping to assume the position of writer with a hot cup of coffee for company, but such was not the case. The coffee was neglected, the pen was silent and I was a quiet spectator. No thoughts and not a single word emerged from within. Those beautiful strangers had silenced my universe.

My life hasn't changed -- things are different, that's all. My consciousness now glows with a keener sense of comprehension and mindfulness. It's as if my previous 28 years were lived under the foggy haze of a perpetual hangover. My eyelids were lifted, the heart functioned and the blood was hot, moving. I was simply a being sustaining himself.
Now, all synapses are firing, my irises are flush with a vibrant blue -- and I'm blessed.

But today was tinted with sorrow and loneliness. I wish this new chapter of mine could be coauthored with her, that elusive ghost. Who is she? Where is she? Is her pen in hand? Does she even exist?
I tremble at the thought of sharing time&space with a kindred soul. I girl comprised of values, morals, opinions -- and most importantly, self-respect.
Looking back, the girls I entangled myself with were car wrecks and I their willing airbag.
We collided.
And I deployed.
Embraced their careless impact.
Our vehicle was towed yet it was I and I alone left in the cold damaged shell.
Deflated.
Empty.
Used.
A temporary safety device.
Now useless.
Reduced and diminished.

But not anymore.

I used to wonder why I was always attracted to the car wrecks, the girls with "issues." I suppose their vulnerability turned me on. They lacked respect for others (including me) and themselves. But ultimately, I was fond of them because of what they provided -- a fuse. And to the man in love with self-destruction, a fuse is the cherubic cheek of destiny.

- B O O M -

And as the smoke lifts and dissipates, I see a battlefield littered with soiled love letters and crippled valentines.
And I'm okay.
I'm walking away.
Intact.
And unscathed.
But before I depart this scarred territory, I take a knee and cradle the remnant of a broken heart, and to this cold stone I say, "I hope the girls of fractures and splinters -- the girls from yesterday -- I hope they make it out okay. I really do."
And I rise to my feet, gently place the stone in my pocket and I look above. And I look ahead. And I say, "Where are you, my love?"

Shalom,
mc

2 comments:

kate said...

i know that feeling of pervading loneliness while you simply observe life and those intimate connections that bind people together...all from the outside. and i know that feeling of being overwhelmed with the beauty of people - i felt like that a week or two ago while at a gathering. i couldn't help but just watch everyone, looking around constantly and trying to absorb how beautiful and fabulously diverse, but so BEAUTIFUL!, everyone was.

"And I'm okay.
I'm walking away.
Intact.
And unscathed.
But before I depart this scarred territory, I take a knee and cradle the remnant of a broken heart, and to this cold stone I say, "I hope the girls of fractures and splinters -- the girls from yesterday -- I hope they make it out okay. I really do."
And I rise to my feet, gently place the stone in my pocket and I look above. And I look ahead"
what a good outlook. it really is something amazing to walk away from that wreckage feeling whole, i'm glad for you. and i'm glad that you have managed to find such forward vision and begin what seems to be a very positive chapter in your life.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Kate,

Thanks for visiting.
A day after I posted this entry, I reread my words and discovered something: I've forgiven the girls from yesterday, I really have. And that's a strange feeling to a man once filled with vindictive bitterness. I realized that their actions were propelled by broken hearts and crooked experiences.
And it's difficult to blame a victim of the heart.
Anyway, thanks again for your comments.

Shalom,
mc