18 July 2008

15

I'm in dire need of sleep, so this post will be brief. Its length, however, is not indicative of tonight's earlier event: my first depression/bipolar support group meeting.

In the hour preceding the meeting I paced anxiously throughout my apartment. I don't recall the drive but I suddenly found myself in the parking lot, my eyes staring at the front door. I entered the quiet building and found the room -- room 15.

Everyone (including me!) introduced themselves and I mostly observed and listened. I made a few comments and shared some personal experiences. Every group member spoke about his or her medication(s). I, however, didn't tell the group about my choice to tackle my "diseases" without medication. (I hope to speak about this issue at an upcoming meeting.)

Everyone was very kind and at no point did I wish to leave. The two hour meeting ended and I shook hands with several of the group's participants, all of whom encouraged me to attend the next gathering. As soon as I exited the building several feelings -- all of them positive -- flooded my senses.

I felt relieved. Less alone. Strengthened. I felt as though I finally had the upper hand on this ... this thing. I felt empowered. And I haven't experienced that sensation for quite some time.

Today was a good day. A very good day.

xx

1 comment:

D said...

So happy to hear that the meeting went well. Even since you first mentioned it, I was hoping that you would attend and that it would be a positive experience for you.