15 June 2007

o sister

Because of a weekend scheduling conflict, Thursday I drove to Hometown to visit Father and Stepfather for Father's Day. Unfortunately the day was marred by Sister's strange behavior. She and her seven month old son were at Mother's, and something was visibly and emotionally wrong with her. She appeared to be under the influence of something and it certainly wasn't alcohol. She was lethargic and behind her sunglasses hid pinhole-sized pupils.
Outside of her presence I asked Mother about her odd behavior. Mother told me that cash and jewelry -- including a pair of diamond earrings -- had gone missing in recent weeks. Upon visiting Hometown's pawn shops, Mother was told that Sister was a frequent visitor, pawning a variety of items -- including jewelry. None of the shops had any of Mother's missing jewelry; the pieces had already been sold.
Sister's name is now in the pawn shops' databases and they will no longer accept items from her.
Hours later, after I had arrived home, I received a phone call from Mother telling me that, according to Sister, she was mugged and raped Wednesday night. Normally, Mother, Stepfather, and I would be shocked by such claims but after years of lies and ridiculous denials it's, unfortunately, difficult to take such allegations seriously. She said she filed a police report, but was a rape kit administered? I believe Mother said, according to my sister, no such action was taken, which sheds serious doubt on the validity of Sister's claim.
After hearing of the alleged assault Mother and Stepfather visited Sister's home. After a lengthy discussion Sister denied any drug use and miraculously returned Mother's diamond earrings. As for the stolen cash and other missing jewelry she denied any involvement (bullshit). Sister also said she would have killed herself long ago if it wasn't for Austin, her son.
Poor Sister... I don't know what to say. She loves Austin so much and she has the potential to be a terrific mother, but she's so confused and misguided, and it hurts to see your little sister in such a state knowing there's very little you can do to aid her to true happiness.
Poor Mother feels so helpless. She asks me for advice and guidance, which is odd for me because our belief systems are polar opposites.
"Things just happen and we're fools if we try to attach some higher meaning to them," I told her.
I relayed to her a wonderful quote from Mark Twain: "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained."

mc

No comments: