30 December 2005

the shifting raging beauty

I'm resigned to settle and collect dust in rooms of stale cigarette smoke and red lights. On this table is a chess board with pieces scattered.
I want to be the King. The King dispatching pawns to wage wars on battlefields distant.
I want to be the Queen. The Queen, sipping wine from a goblet of gold, in a palace with curtains of immaculate fabric.
I want to be the Knight. The Knight galloping gallantly and saving hundreds from the clouds of toxic smoke raining from above.
No. I am a pawn sacrificed for reasons that I will never comprehend. The first casualty and the Last. Bleeding for someone.
Bleeding for You.
I threw myself into the line of fire. I thought that would be the noble thing to do.
Comprehension escapes me in moments like these.
Escape.
Flee.
Leave me.
Please.
Leave me to die here gazing at the twinkling stars of fire burning in the cradle of the sky tonight. On my back and on this battlefield - Somewhere I can hear the explosions ringing. Somewhere I can hear the screaming. The yelling. The pleading of the brave and of the Weak.
Somewhere.
Inside.
They're all inside me. And O Sweet Love, they are all beautiful. The Shifting Raging Beauty. Set them free. I'm begging you to break open the flood gates and send them fleeing into the night - and into You.
From me and into You.
You - O Sweet Love - You.


mc

No comments: