11 November 2005

q u o t e

"If in everyday life, you are asked about continued existence after death by one of those people who would like to know everything but refuse to learn anything, the most appropriate and approximately correct answer is: 'After your death you will be what you were before your birth.' For this answer implies that it is preposterous to demand that a species of existence which had a beginning should not have an end; in addition, however, it contains a hint that there may be two kinds of existence and, correspondingly, two kinds of nothingness."
-Arthur Schopenhauer

answers



mc (as Mogwai's Rock Action plays on the hi-fi)

3 comments:

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

I had heard about nihilism but never knew what the philosophy was about. I decided to Google "nihilism" and came across the essay Portrait of the Nihilist at a Shopping Mall from nihil.org. I couln't believe what I was reading. I had finally found a philosophy that represented my thoughts and feelings 100%.
BTW...I didn't know it at the time of the post, but my entry IZ US reflects some of the feelings contained in nihilism.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Oh, and thanks for the feedback, JKiss.......

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Well said, adaboy. I need to give you partial credit for my philosophy research. During one of our past discussions you recommended that I look into existenialism.
Philosophy is NOT one of those subjects that you just "look into" and walk away feeling satisfied. The feelings, the thoughts and the philosophers quickly stimulate one's curiosity and before you know it, you are elbow deep in heady reading material. One question leads to another and so on and so forth. This is why I gravitate towards nihilism. It is cut and dry. In my IZ US entry I stated that humans, thanks to the "needs" and desires" our species can't seem to live without, make life so much more complicated than it actually is. We create so much noise that no one notices that plant in the chaotic mall.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, adaboy...