23 August 2010

return

It’s been a few days since my last entry, an entry that was written under the slowly rising waves of mescaline. Indeed, last Thursday I experienced the most intense psychedelic experience of my life. I also found the trip to be extremely therapeutic. I want to share some of my experiences, but attempting to piece the whole thing together is practically impossible. Relating my experiences to a sober reality will be a work in progress, and I plan on posting fragments of that Thursday over the next few entries.

First, a mescaline trip (calling the experience a “trip” seems entirely inadequate and oversimplified) burns for 12-14 staggering hours. I’ve dosed LSD several times throughout my life, and while there are some similarities between mescaline and acid, there are many more nuances during a mescaline experience than an acid one. The ascent to mescaline’s peak is much more subtle, more gradual than LSD; the window of an LSD trip is open 8-10 hours, which, in my opinion, results in a steep rise and fall of the experience, but the sheer length of a mescaline experience means nothing is rushed, neither the ascent nor the descent, meaning it won’t overwhelm the senses as acid tends to do. I have found LSD to be in incredibly frustrating chemical when attempting to initiate the creative process. The onset of LSD is like a battered shoreline as a hurricane nears; the seas of a mescaline experience, however, are much smoother, leading to an experience that is more introspective than an acid trip. I don’t believe I could have achieved such deep, resonant insights into my being if under the command of LSD. Mescaline’s stability enables its user to open the locked doors of perception, which, in my opinion, is more difficult to do under LSD.

My time is up, so I’ll end with this: nursing school begins tomorrow, and while I’m filled with anxiety about this next chapter of my life, I now find myself much more confident and less negative about its prospects. I sincerely believe that psychedelics, if used responsibly and correctly, can provide great therapeutic value to some people. I look forward to sharing some of the insights I gained during my experience last Thursday.

xx

No comments: