30 July 2010

fives and fours

Here are all the films I've rated through NetFlix as either a five- or four-star flick. The most recent five-star addition is Martin Scorsese's epic The Departed, which I watched earlier tonight. Wow. Scorsese has a patent on the crime-drama genre, and, in my opinion, he fails only when he attempts to venture away from that brand. Bringing Out the Dead and The Aviator are dreadful, but The Departed is a damn near perfect film. Jack Nicholson epitomizes evil; Leonardo DiCaprio is the underdog everyone wants to cheer; and Matt Damon is a scumbag. Regardless of their roles, their executed perfectly in a masterfully told story. I can't say enough about this one. Five stars all the way.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

D said...

Really? I must admit I'm a bit surprised. I think I'm in the minority on this one, but I've always thought 'The Departed' was one of the most overrated films I've ever seen. IMO, the plot was predictable and illogical (tough to believe that Nicholson's character was some legendary gangster, yet couldn't put two and two together and figure out where the leak was). Acting-wise, I thought that DiCaprio was very poorly cast (just isn't believable as a tough guy whatsoever), Nicholson played his normal cliche role, and Damon was milk toast. The only performance that I thought was halfway decent was Mark Wahlberg. I also thought they could have trimmed about an hour of dialogue....was painfully wordy and slow in spots.

To me, it's a shame that out of all the films Scorsese has made, he finally won (or was given) the Best Director Oscar for THIS. I'd probably give it a 6.5/10. But hey, as I said, all IMO. There are clearly A LOT of people who regard this film very highly. I've just never understood why.

D said...

Oh, and DiCaprio's Boston accent is absolutely abysmal.

Anonymous said...

Good journey and experience!