11 June 2010

phish in the stove

To chase away the shadows, I compulsively cleaned a stove – a stove I’ll no longer be using in two weeks because I’ll be away from this place(!) – and listened to Phish’s December four-night run in Miami from ’09. I can’t wait to see the guys for two nights in August at Verizon in Indy. I haven’t been to a Phish show in close to a decade, but listening to their ’09 live sets brings it all back home. Some people get Phish. Most don’t. And that’s OK. But for those who do, experiencing a Phish event is always remarkable. Temporarily inhabiting a small town of 20,000 while five guys soak the atmosphere with improvisational jams is a rare occurrence. When you’re absorbed by a jam (I know I’m sounding like a complete stoner here, but fuck you, it’s great), you reach an ultimate point of realization: you look around and find 20,000 people entranced by one thing, music, and it’s a communal, almost religious experience. Can’t wait to get back.

xx

No comments: