19 February 2010

movies for the weekend

This weekend I have Inglorious Basterds and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Last weekend I watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and American Psycho. Many years ago I attempted to read Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho and failed. Instead of finishing the novel, I sold it on eBay for five bucks. I decided to give the movie a chance because I'm a fan of Christian Bale; plus, the film received high praise upon its release. FAIL. I hated the movie as much as I hated the book, and like the book, I couldn't finish the experience. I realize the film/book is a dark satire about the excesses of modern life in America -- I get it -- but I don't need Patrick Bateman's mind numbing descriptions to drive home the point. I don't know, maybe some day American Psycho will click with me, but in the meantime, I give this flick one star out of five. Ugh.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, however, was spectacular. I initially gave this film four stars out of five, but the more I think about it, the more I like it, which, in my mind, is the mark of a truly great film. I think it could have been about thirty minutes shorter; regardless, the story is solid, the cinematography is beautiful (is there anyone better than Roger Deakins*?),and the acting is flawless. James was an enigmatic figure in his own right, but you could dedicate an entire film to Ford and his post-assassin psyche. Don't pigeonhole The Assassination of Jesse James... as a Western -- it's much deeper than that.

xx

* - The criminally overlooked Coen brothers' film The Man Who Wasn't There, in my mind, solidified Deakins as a genius.

No comments: