24 January 2010

left behind

Before I left for Panda Bear's on Friday I taped the aforementioned letter on my roommate's bedroom door. He, of course, was on the living room recliner. I left the letter on his door in lieu of giving it to him personally because I did not want any interaction with him; we haven't spoken in months, and I intend to keep it that way. However, after discussing the letter with Panda Bear, I now wonder if there will be a personal confrontation with him. I hope, instead, he will either leave a response on my door or be mute. As I have written previously, my passive-aggressive tendencies do not exist unacknowledged. I'm much aware of them. What can I say? I don't like confrontation. Who does? I know I'm not a perfect roommate, but if being a passive-aggressive roommate is my worst quality then I'm certainly comfortable with that. I would prefer to live with a passive-aggressive instead of a slob. Wouldn't you? Seriously.

Yes, I agree that it might be rather selfish to ask someone to alter his recuperation from a major surgery so that it minimizes its impact on me (I acknowledge this selfishness in the final sentence of my letter), but this selfishness is moot because it is a direct response to his inconsiderate behavior – behavior that I've dealt with for months. I mean, look at this – is that acceptable? Would you transform a shared living space into that without asking your roommate? Perhaps you wouldn't ask because you think such a transformation would be insignificant, acceptable. Really? You think that mess – which occupies a SHARED living space – is acceptable?

Tomorrow afternoon I'll be back in Bloomington, back in my shit apartment with my shit roommate. Future post to come…

xx

No comments: