29 July 2009

i don’t want to get off on a rant here, but…

Leave it to AA to find such an apropos quotation – from Mr Palahniuk, no less – to accommodate my previous post. Really cool to hear from you, dude. Really. We must get together. And soon. The question of "Your place or mine," however, raises a thorny issue that I'm going to plunge into head first because this fucking week is pushing me to the brink, bro. Sleeping difficulties. I'm struggling with another down and dark spell. A gigantic and crucial final exam coming Friday. Driving the bus earlier today and I t-bone an old lady in a Cadillac – wasn't my fault and the accident wasn't serious, but still. This shit piles up.

Check it:

Panda Bear and I are expecting a couple of good friends this weekend, and I would love to have them spend the weekend here, in Bloomington, rather than _____, which is where Panda Bear lives. But I don't invite anyone, well, except for Panda Bear, to come over. No friends. No family. Why? Because I'm embarrassed about my living conditions, that's why. See, about two years ago my roommate decided to turn the dining room of our townhome into his eBay warehouse. As soon as you walk through the front door boxes upon boxes of cheap Chinese purses greet you. Sure, at first it seems ridiculous, funny maybe, but after awhile said guest begins to wonder, Jesus, he lives with this shit?

You might be wondering, Have you asked him to remove his inventory from the dining room? No, not directly anyway. I mean, my passive-aggressive tendencies steer me away from confrontation; however, this situation is slightly different because I simply have a philosophical problem with asking someone to change his or her inconsiderate ways. It's a matter of principle: if you yourself are oblivious to behavior that most reasonable folk would consider unmindful (and I do think the aforementioned warehouse space is indeed unmindful), then what the hell am I supposed to do about it? I'm not B.F. Skinner (you know, the psychologist who pioneered the science of behavior modification with the rats in the box) for chrissakes.

Anyhow… AA, it's great to hear, er, read from you. Two more days and I'm finished with class for a month. We need to get together, bro. Seriously. It's been too long since we sat down mano a mano. Maybe we could shoot some shots over some competitive drag racing. Maybe I can attempt to clear a chainlink fence in my underwear. (I heard the House Banter series is getting an official DVD release; any truth to these rumors?) Come down here, visit the warehouse, or I can make a trip to your neck of the woods.

In the meantime, hit me up with an e-mail – TheSkyIsATelevisionSignal@gmail.com – with your phone number or some other means of communication.

xx

No comments: