19 June 2009

saturday night live

The neglect of my bloggy blog is not an intentional act; I simply haven't been able to find blogging time since summer session started. I'm taking two classes – two classes that would normally transpire over 16 weeks are condensed to eight because of summer session. Concepts in Mathematics has not posed much of a problem thus far. Anatomy & Physiology is a different matter. Unlike Concepts, I, for all intents and purposes, must level an A in A&P. Missing an A would considerably diminish my odds of entering the nursing program. The amount of material I must cover in a single week is quite extraordinary.

I may be busy, but I WILL find the time to catch The Rural Alberta Advantage show tomorrow night (Saturday) at the Vollrath in Indianapolis. Indeed, the band is touring (Vollrath show kicks off the tour, btw) to promote their superb debut album Hometowns, which was released digitally via eMusic last year. The band landed a deal with Saddle Creek Records a few months ago; Hometowns will get a proper release 07 July. And rightfully so. Hometowns is sure to land on many best-of-2009 lists come December. The album showcases simple yet sound songwriting and… well, I cannot give an appropriate review of the album because I've lived with it for so long. Some albums creep into your life and become enmeshed with the fabric of your experience, and when that lovely combustion happens, you can no longer assess the music because it – it being the sounds that construct the album – has become an all-encompassing canopy of sounds, images, feelings, reactions.

Don't miss the show. When Pitchfork and your "hip" friends are all over the RAA in July, you'll be kicking yourself for missing this one.

xx

No comments: