24 July 2007

awe and shock

After witnessing amazing performances by Calla and Interpol at Cleveland's House of Blues and driving more than 700 miles I arrived home at 7AM this morning. My body and mind were aching for sleep, but before I retired to bed I checked my e-mail. One particular e-mail caught my attention; the distressing subject line read "Some Very Bad News." JL, my direct supervisor at work and, more importantly, a great man and good friend, had passed away last Friday while vacationing in Australia, apparently of a massive heart attack. Two med-school students happened to be with him and he was across the street from a health clinic, so he received almost immediate medical attention but nothing could be done. He was 57 years old.
I've never met a nicer man and as a supervisor he was the best.
Although I didn't work today, I stopped by my workplace to truly grasp the magnitude of the situation and just talk with a co-worker or two. A makeshift memorial was set up with CDs by The Beatles, and The Grateful Dead, a picture of Elvis Presley (he loved Elvis and every time he left work he would say, "Elvis has left the building!"), a hockey puck (he was a local youth hockey coach), and other mementos of JL.
The loss is immense, and his jovial demeanor, joyful laugh, and gentle nature will never be forgotten by those who were fortunate to know him.

mc

No comments: