27 June 2007

ground level

Another night.
Another glass of whiskey and coke.
Another cigarette.
And time continues to descend through the cosmos.
Recent weeks have been enveloped in blackness. Creativity has been an empty well. Inspiration, nonexistent.
I made a vain attempt to maintain communication with L but two text messages buried any hope of a friendship. "Fuck off and go away... I don't want to be friends with you!"
I've damaged her, and in doing so, damaged myself. I'm certainly no stranger to self-inflicted pain, and despite the number of scars -- physical and emotional -- it hurts every time.
Like a beautiful cathedral from some foreign land I think of L every day. I'm riddled with guilt and remorse for what I've done because I've had my heart and hopes dashed countless times. Now, the blood is on my hands.
Last Sunday, I walked along the same trail we had wandered several weeks ago. As I walked alone, I could clearly recall some of the things we discussed when we walked together. And when I drive around town or as I lie in bed her ghost slips inside my mind and a memory as fresh as yesterday floods my heart, and for a brief moment I have to remind myself that she's gone, despite the realness of the memory.

I haven't spoken to Mother in a week, two weeks, I don't know. Any conversation would ultimately lead to the train wreck that is Sister, and I don't need to hear about her problems/lies, not now. What difference would it make if we were to discuss Sister? She is just another human being roaming the face of the Earth. Whatever meaning Mother or I try to attach to her life is fruitless. Human beings create the meanings, or lack thereof, to our lives (see: existentialism).
I believe we all have self-perceived holes in our identities. Some choose to fill these holes with god or some higher force. Others choose drugs, legal or illegal (ultimately, what's the difference between the two?). Others search for love. Others find sex as their opiate, the plug for their hole. But what if there is no real remedy for the cavity in ourselves? What if our consciousness is always conscious of something -- and that something is simply our existence, our beating heart?
The hour is late, but, in future posts, I plan to expand on some of the concepts expressed in this entry.

Good night and good luck.

mc

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you are mourning about. You got your solitude you so desperately wanted back. I was just holding you down, remember? Its good to know what I mean to you....a FRIEND. It might as well be a four letter word. Don't even try to understand how I feel cause you don't know what it is like to having someone take their love back.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

"Its good to know what I mean to you....a FRIEND."

No, you're not my friend. You've clearly stated that you do not wish to be my friend. I'm nothing to you. When you're told to "fuck off and go away" the message is very clear.

It's good to know what I mean to you: nothing.

It disappoints me that things have deteriorated to this level of bitterness, but I can't blame you.

And I never "took my love back." As odd as it may sound, I still love you. I always will, L.

mc

Anonymous said...

yeah, the man who loves me but doesn't want a relationship with me cause I'm too much of a sacrifice. The same man who the day after we walked that trail told me for the hundredth time he isn't sure he wants to be with me but couldn't break up with me cause he needed to be the "victim" so he pushed me into doing it for him. The same man who told me he can't be with me unless it was on his terms.

You know what you mean to me and THAT is why we can't be friends.

But go ahead use whatever measure you need to make yourself the "victim" and make my feelings invalid.

You know damn well I gave you all I had to give and I never lost my patience with you and I was always kind to you. I love you more than anybody will. I was good to you and I will be damn to sit here quietly and let you tell the world that you mean nothing to me when all I do is think about you.

How vindictive of you to say that I don't care cause I can't be friends with someone I'm still in love with.

Stop trying to hurt me cause I'm already in enough misery as is.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

I never said I wanted to be the victim in this situation. I didn't have the heart to break things off with you, L. I just couldn't do it. I simply lacked the fortitude to speak the words.

I never wanted to be the one to break another person's heart because I'm too familiar with the pain that comes with an unamiable break-up. I hoped we could push through my problems, but your patience finally ran out. And again, I can't blame you.

You seem to believe that my responses to your comments are lies and fabrications, as if I'm feeding you lines of fiction that lack an ounce of emotion. Ask yourself one question: What would I gain doing such a thing?

"Stop trying to hurt me cause I'm already in enough misery as is."

I'm not trying to hurt you, L. I'm sorry if you feel this way. You are mistaken if you believe you are suffering alone. I hate what I've done to you. You're the sweetest girl I've ever met and probably ever will meet. I continue to struggle with my inner demons; you don't know what it's like to battle your own conflicting desires -- you love someone and you want to be with this person, yet something is holding you back, and you believe things would be better (for both involved) if you remained alone in your shell of solitude.

Regardless, I do love you, and the last thing I want to do is cause you further pain. I just wish we were "speaking" on better terms.

I'm so sorry for the pain I've caused you, L.

mc