06 February 2006

the super bowl lie

Last Friday I was invited by a co-worker to a Super Bowl party. As CoWorker asked me if I wanted to come I knew I didn't, but for some unexplained reason I said yes. I always do that kind of shit.
So yesterday was gameday and I woke up feeling anxious, uneasy, not good...Just one of those days. I spent several hours tormenting myself over the phone call and accompanying lie. I make the call and after the first three rings I'm hoping for an answering machine; lying to a machine is easier than lying to flesh and blood. Then I hear the glorious sound of a prerecorded message.
"Hello, we are unavailable to take your [CLICK] Hello?"
Fuck.
"Hey, CoWorker, it's mc. What's up?"
"Not much. How are you?"
"Good. Hey, I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it over for the game. My girlfriend wants to go to this party and she wants me to come along so if I can make it over I will, but I'm not sure."
I can't even give a concrete 'no' while lying. So pathetic.
I then proceed to ask for driving directions even though I know I won't be going. I even write down the directions, for Christ's sake!
In case CoWorker asks me about my fictional girlfriend, I'll need to compose a character sketch.
A name...Length of our relationship...Steelers fan? Seahawks fan?
Better living through lying...So fucking pathetic.

mc (call me Costanza)

No comments: