15 January 2006

passenger


Today I was paid to basically be a passenger. It was a new driver's first day on the job and I was riding along to answer his questions, concerns.
As the sun disappeared so did the passengers. I found myself alone in the dimly lit cabin for most of the evening. The occasional comment from new guy would crack the long moments of silence, breaking my peaceful thoughts and observations, but the images could not be broken.
Gazing out of the window my vision rolled across cold, empty sidewalks illuminated by lonesome street lamps (halos atop steel posts), couples hand in hand (beaming faces, smiles giving way to shining white teeth) scurrying across a crosswalk, a full moon perched in an empty sky (O, to have Her surface kissing my fingertips), rusting chain link fences hiding from the darkness, automobiles moving in every direction (people driving with places to go - a purpose).
All this movement. All this tranquility.
It was all poetry and I achieved that rare and precious feeling of absolute certainty in the moment. Yes, I am supposed to be the observer of this moment. Yes, let these images flow and flutter through my eyes and heart. Yes, these flashes of light were meant for me.
Yes, this is assurance.
I love those moments.

mc

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are an amazing writer mc.

the.sky.is.a.television.signal said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. Thank you all very much...

mc

D said...

Beautifully written.