07 December 2005

a very guilty pleasure

Everyone has a few guilty pleasures so I'm no different. One of my biggest guilty pleasures is reality television.
This past weekend the television network Bravo aired a marathon of Project Runway season one (season two began tonight). This program "pits sixteen fashion designers against one another on the road to the runway." The winning designer walks away with $100,000 to start their own fashion line.
Of all the reality shows that I've watched and been a fan of, this one has me scratching my head and asking, why do I find this show so damn appealing?
Is it the super-model host Heidi Klum? Yeah...a little bit.
Is it the hot fashion models showing off stylistic threads? Yes...definitely some good looking ladies.
But the real reason I watch this show is for the clothes and their designers (duh). After all, the models are fashioning wearable art. An artist has an eye/ear for what works and what doesn't, regardless of the medium. I ask myself, "How can I apply his/her fashion philosophy to my philosophy of music (i.e. textures of fabric to textures of sound)?"
If an artist is to expand, he/she needs to learn and absorb as much as possible from other artists. A library of souls is useless unless one is there to taste the temperatures.

mc

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I've got you beat. I watch Trading Spouses. Try to find any merit in that one.